During the 70s and 80s the school was seriously overcrowded with 1200 learners in a school which was built for 600 learners. This resulted in the school having to platoon, offering afternoon classes to some of the grades. Some foundation classes were taught until twelve, and the others starting at 12h15. This was stopped when the school was renovated in 1983.